Happy Hour Musings
Every other Friday, there’s a happy hour at a nearby bar. I have managed not to go because I rather go workout straight after work on Friday. But last week, I convinced myself to go, in order, to network with my fellow peers. I forgo on the alcohol and order water. Especially since I was planning, and actually did go to Boot camp afterwards.
I am a people watcher, and love observing how people act in certain situations. I, also, observe how I act to try to improve myself. I can be a tad socially awkward when I am uncomfortable and/or don’t know people.
A couple of thoughts I had while I was there:
- Everybody buys alcohol. It is after all happy hour! But I wonder, how much their tab adds up at the end of the night. I was there for a little over an hour, and everyone had about 3 -5 beers. Nobody looked like they were leaving anytime soon. When I actually left, people where like woah, you are leaving early!
- People get friendlier, cockier, and/or quieter. Alcohol relaxes people and it brings down their inhibitions. Some people say it’s the alcohol. I think people use the alcohol as an excuse to act a tad different.
- Funny business – One of the guys blurted out how he invests all the time, and how he’s been losing so much money a bond index fund, one of his buddies convinced him to invest in. My thoughts – Why buy bonds now? He’s only 32. If I were him, I would spend more time researching investments than drinking. Anyone???
- Sunglasses should not be worn inside. One of the guys wore his sunglasses inside the bar. I made a comment to my friend, about the guy in front of us looking creepy with his sunglasses. She laughed and said he had recently bought them, so he didn’t want to scratch them up. Especially since they were super expensive. Umm??? Can’t you leave your sunglasses inside the car that’s inside the parking garage before entering the bar? Guys, sunglasses inside bars are creepy. No matter how expensive the sunglasses are.
- Men outnumber women. There were only 4-6 girls compared to 15 guys there from work.
- What’s the point of Co-Worker Happy Hour? Not yet sure on this one. Any thoughts???
Those are my observations/rants from Friday’s Happy Hour.