Are Side Hustles Worth It?
I have been babysitting to earn some additional income the past couple of months. Babysitting allows me to earns some quick cash without having to do a lot of work. Well, depends on what you consider work. There are times where babysitting is very draining because I have to play a lot with the kids, and other times it’s not that bad because we end up watching a lot of Netflix shows. I seem to forget every time I start babysitting again that kids are SUPER ENERGETIC.
Daisy over at Add-Vodka When life Gives You Lemons explained Why Babysitting is An Awesome Side Hustle.
I have been babysitting for a long time. I babysat three kids when I was just twelve years old. I was a nanny for two summers during high school. And now after a bachelor’s and a master’s degree, I’m still babysitting. My husband often asks me why? I earn way more money at my day job, and what I make babysitting is minimal. I only started babysitting this client because I had free time before I started working and it was driving me crazy! My friend couldn’t handle the hours due to MCAT studying and she passed the client over.
There are a couple benefits to babysitting including
- The cash. We are trying to save as much as possible, trying to pay off the car loan, and will soon be having my braces payments. The extra money helps a little.
- I’m, also, helping out a mom who’s husband is overseas in Iraq. She has no family nearby, and thus no help. She’s super nice and I really like her and the kids.
There a some downsides which are making me ponder if this side hustle is really worth it.
- First of all, I would love for my side hustle to be a passion or a hobby. Taking care of kids is not my passion. Actually, I do not enjoy it (part of the reasons why I don’t want to have kids anytime soon or at all). Let me point out I’m not a bad babysitter. The kids actually love me!
- Second, the mom never has a planned scheduled for me. Often times, she calls me randomly and asks me to come babysit for her. She cancels and reschedules all the time. When I do babysit for her, she says she only going to take two hours, and ends up taking 3 or 4 hours. This is bad because I’m always on a tight schedule.
- Third, it’s hard to take care of kids after working all day. A lot of you might say, oh I have to do that with my kids. But we have made a conscious decision not to have kids, because we know we can’t handle it right now.
It comes down to how badly do I need the cash? And for how long I can keep on doing this? I need to be at my top game for work. My primary focus is my career. I, also, would like to spend time with my hubby. Often times, instead of spending time with him, I go babysitting like tonight. If it’s not him, it’s time with friends. I’m young right now, and feel like I need to enjoy life.
It’s not that many hours a week right now. I probably do 3 – 5 hours a week. So it’s not bad. I just wanted to show the darker side of side hustling. It’s not always easy. It takes lots of motivation. And often times, quitting seems like a good option. I’m just trying to hang on to my side hustle.
Do you face similar dilemmas? Do you think side hustles are worth it?